Avocado Kale Salad This is a staple in our home. This recipe was initially inspired during a lunch with @MamaGena in NYC at Plum, a lovely place on the Lower East Side. From there, the recipe evolved over the past 18 months to this. I make it every week – sometimes twice. Ingredients:
- 1 Head of Kale – I use the big leafy kale, though you might want to use Black (Dinosaur) or the Purple (Red) – sometimes I mix it up. Derib the Kale. This is important. I use a boning knife and run it done the rib and separate the Kale away from it. I then bunch up the leaves into a ball and finely slice them – this is called Chiffonade.
- 1 Avocado – mash this over the shredded kale finely with your fingers until the Kale is completely coated. This has the effect of adding a good oil, and softens the tough Kale leaves. This combination of avocado and fine chiffionade makes this dish easy on the teeth.
- 1/3 C Extra Virgin Olive oil – pour over the mixture
- Juice from 1 Meyers Lemon, strained – pour over mixture
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt (more/less to your taste, I love the crunch it adds)
- 3/4 Cup Green Olives – your choice here, we get bright green ones from Whole Foods. I have seen recipes calling for very fancy (and expensive) ones from Peru – whatever you like will be perfect
- 1/2 Cup Raw Goat Cheese (Cheddar), finely shredded on top or cubed and mixed inside, your choice. If you don’t eat cheese, leave it out. I have replace this with Enoki Mushrooms to get a similar visual effect.
- 1 cubed Avocado – add this in last.