Raw Pumpkin Pie
Author: Mark Sylvester
- 2 C Pecans (previously soaked and dried)
- 4 Dates (soaked until soft)
- 1 Medium Sugar Pumpkin (not the kind you carve for Halloween) About 5 C chopped.
- 3 C Water (divided)
- ½ C Agave (or liquid sweetener of your choice)
- ¼ C Maple Syrup (not raw but used in raw food cooking)
- ½ C Coconut Butter
- ½ C Cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 2 t. Cinnamon
- ½ t. Nutmeg
- ½ t. Ginger
- ¼ t. Cloves
- Put pecans into food processor with dates. Process until well ground. Press into 8″ tart pan.
- Wrap with plastic wrap or paper towels and place in refrigerator.
- The day before you will start preparing the pumpkin. This is important because if you used the pumpkin completely raw, it would have a very unpleasant starchy quality to it.
- Peel the pumpkin and slice in half. Slice into 1 inch slices.
- Chop the slices into pieces that are about ⅛th inch thick. So, the slices will look like a 1″ square that is ⅛″ thick.
- Place on dehydrator screens and dehydrate at 116 for about 3-4 hours. Make sure you remove them before they are hard!
- Place dehydrated pumpkin in a bowl.
- Cover with 2 C of the water and let sit for about 3 hours. You can do this the night before and just put it in the refrigerator and leave it.
- Soak the cashews and dates at the same time and you will be ready to rock in the morning!
- In the food processor, place all ingredients except the remaining 1 C water and cashews. Process until it becomes a mash.
- Add the cashews and process until well mixed.
- Transfer half the mixture to the vitamix. Add ½ C water and blend until smooth. This will require some patience and the plunger but the results are well worth it.
- Repeat with remaining filling and ½ C water. Mix the two batches together then spoon into the crust.
- Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours before serving.