Spicy Roasted Nuts
Simple and easy to prepare snack that allows for lots of flexibility and tastes.
Author: Mark Sylvester
Recipe type: Snacks
Serves: 1 pound
- 1 lb. Raw Nuts - Almonds, Macadamia, Pumpkin Seeds, Cashews (a crowd favorite), Pecans or Walnuts.
- 1 Egg White
- 1 Tablespoon Spice Mix (see below)
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt, flaked, coarse Kosher is best
- Spice Mix ideas
- • Tandoori
- • Fajita
- • Taco seasoning
- • Curry
- • Garlic and Lemon Pepper
- • SPIKE seasoning
- • Herbs de Provance
- Tip: You don't have to make the spice mixture, you can go to Trader Joes and pick up one of several mixes they have, they're pretty great - we like the Chili Lime seasoning salt.
- Preheat the oven to 250˚
- Put the room temperature egg white into a clean, dry bowl.
- Using a whisk, whip it until it is frothy, but stop before it gets too set, like a meringue.
- Measure 1 heaping tablespoon of the spice mixture and whip it into the egg whites
- Fold the raw nuts into the egg whites until they are completely covered.
- Spread the coated nuts on a baking sheet that has a piece of parchment paper on it. DONT grease the sheet as oils will reduce the shelf life of the roasted nuts.