Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
This hearty soup is velvety in texture and captures the earthy flavor of mushrooms. You can easily take it a variety of directions depending on how you spice it.
Author: Mark Sylvester
Recipe type: Soup
- One large yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1# brown Crimini mushrooms washed, left whole, reserve 4 for garnish
- 1# large white button mushrooms washed, left whole, reserve 4 for garnish
- One large Eggplant, take off stem end and cut into large chunks, leave unpeeled
- 1 large, peeled Sweet potato (white, not orange)
- Six large cloves peeled garlic
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh Thyme
- One gallon water
- One box of Coconut cream (I like Kara, it's amazing)
- Two tablespoons Better than Bouillon Mushroom or Vegetable Base (Organic)
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Cover vegetables in large soup pot with the water
- Boil for 45 minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked, use a strainer to pull them out of the broth and place them in a Vitamix or large heatproof blender. Add broth from the pot to cover, then blend for at least 30 seconds on high. BE SURE TO CAP THE BLENDER TIGHT. Hot puree splashing around the kitchen is not fun. This will take two batches in the blender.
- In the second blender full, add in the coconut creme, mushroom base, and the white pepper.
- Pour both blenders full of the soup into a large pot and stir to blend.
- Add more broth until you have a consistency you like. If you like thicker soups, then reduce the liquid.
- Take the mushrooms you reserved in the beginning and slice them very thin, saute in olive oil and fold them into the soup once they are softened, about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Becuase there's no dairy, flour or butter in this soup, it will not 'break' when you reheat it.